Town of Trinity
Home Trinity Town Council Newfoundland News Town Services Tourism & Culture Business Map Contact
Tourism & Culture
Arts & Culture
History
Tourism & Recreation
Site Map
HISTORIC SITES and ATTRACTIONS









Provincial Historic Sites

Admiral's (Fort) Point is the site of defences constructed since 1599, but of more important fortifications from 1700 to 1762. Markers show the location of batteries of cannon and buildings. Although the major defences of Trinity date from about 1700, it was in 1746 that one of the major fortifications in Newfoundland was constructed at Admiral's Point. It was manned by about twenty men of the Artillery and about thirty of the Infantry along with two-hundred small arms for the community and fourteen cannon in three batteries. In 1762, the French occupied Trinity for a period of fifteen days and destroyed the fortifications. These were reinstalled during the periods of the American Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. The area has been outfitted with marked trails and an observation platform and has been the subject of archaeological digs in 1969 and 1994-95.

The Lester-Garland Provincial Historic Site consists of the waterfront area on which once stood the commercial and fishery buildings of the Taverners, Lesters, Garlands and Lester-Garlands during the period 1700-1906 and in the twentieth century Ryan Brothers. By the mid-1960s only the demolished remains of the Lester-Garland Brick House and a deteriorating Garland (Ryan) Shop remained. The Trinity Interpretation Centre, a restored Lester-Garland Counting House and Garland (Ryan) Shop, the recently constructed Rising Tide Arts Centre and the reconstructed Lester-Garland House now occupy the site.

The Lester-Garland Counting House and the Garland (Ryan) Shop. The shop, part of the Lester-Garland Premises Provincial Historic Site, has been restored. Purchased in 1906 by the Ryan Brothers from the Lester-Garlands, the building dates from the early 19th century. The "counting house" is from the earlier period. This mercantile building of the Lester-Garland Premises has been restored as an example of a counting house of the early 1800s and a typical outport general store of the 1910 period. It is operated by the Department of Tourism, Culture and Recreation.

The Trinity Interpretation Centre. Once a family home in Trinity, the building was relocated to the present site in 1991. The centre is operated by the Department of Tourism, Culture and Recreation as an exhibit and information centre on Trinity and the surrounding area.

The Rising Tide Arts Centre was constructed in 1999 on the site and in the style of Lester's Fish Store # 2 removed in the 1960s. It is the headquarters of the theatre company which produces The New Founde Land, the Trinity Pageant, and Summer in the Bight, an annual theatre festival performed each summer.

The Lester-Garland Georgian Brick House is a reconstruction undertaken by The Trinity Trusts in Canada and England, The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador and the government of Canada. It was completed between October, 1996 and June, 1997, incorporating what was left in 1995 of the original stone foundations and brick end walls, of the house rebuilt in 1819-20 by John Bingley Garland, the first Speaker of the House of Assembly of Newfoundland, and his brother George on the site of the Lester House (1764-66) and probably the Taverner Home of 1748. The house was vacated in 1948 and essentially demolished by 1964. It is maintained and operated by the Trinity Historical Society as a museum and learning centre. It is the headquarters for Trinity Historical Society Inc. and the main collection of the Trinity Historical Society Archives is held on the third floor of this building.

The Hiscock House has been restored and furnished to the 1910 period as an example of a typical merchant's household in rural Newfoundland. It was built in 1881 for Richard and Emma Hiscock (Pittman). The shop portion now houses a handicraft shop and an interpretative exhibit on the "Hiscocks of Trinity" and the garden is cared for by the children of Trinity. The site is owned and operated by the Department of Tourism, Culture and Recreation.

The Methodist School (1830) was used as a Meeting House and School. It was bought by the Society of United Fishermen in the 1950s and used by that fraternity until it was purchased by the Government of Newfoundland in 1980. It is now used by Trinity Historical Society for storage of artifacts. The second Wesleyan / Methodist Church, built in 1877, was located on the knoll to the left (east) of the school and was taken down in 1935.
















Calendar of Events
September 2017
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30