Town of Trinity
Home Trinity Town Council Newfoundland News Town Services Tourism & Culture Business Map Contact
Tourism & Culture
Arts & Culture
History
Tourism & Recreation
Site Map
HISTORIC SITES and ATTRACTIONS









Community Sites

St. Paul's Anglican Church. This is the third church on this site. The first was constructed in 1729. The second was begun in 1820, because of needed repairs and insufficient space, and consecrated in 1827 for which the hymn "We Love The Place, O God" was composed by the Rector, the Reverend William Bullock. It was removed in 1892 because it was no longer large enough. The present church was begun in 1892 and consecrated in 1894 by Bishop Jones who labelled it "the Gem of the Diocese". The spire is 102 feet high. The seating capacity is a little over 500. The church registers date from 1753, one of the oldest such sets in Canada.

The Parish Hall. The corner stone of this church-owned building (Anglican) was laid in 1895. It was the social and entertainment centre of the town at one time. Plays, dances, movies and other entertainments were presented here. It was also the meeting place for various social, fraternal and self-improvement clubs, organizations and church groups.

Church of the Most Holy Trinity (Roman Catholic). This church built in 1833, with the tower added in 1880, is the oldest standing church in Newfoundland.

Cemeteries. There are five cemeteries in the town, two Anglican (one dating from at least 1757), two Methodist/United Church and one Roman Catholic.

The Old Church of England Cemetery. Located in St. Paul's Churchyard. Headstones date to August 31, 1757 (Francis Squibb). Persons of all Christian denominations of the period are buried here.

The New Church of England (Anglican) Cemetery. This cemetery replaced the one in St. Paul's churchyard. It was opened on August 23, 1880. The Mortuary Chapel, one of the remaining few in Newfoundland, is located here.

The Wesleyan/Methodist Cemetery. Used for members of this congregation until the new one on Gun Hill was opened. Most headstones are no longer erect.

The United Church Cemetery is located off Victoria Road on Gun Hill.

The Roman Catholic Cemetery is further along Glen Cove Path from the present Anglican Cemetery.














Calendar of Events
September 2017
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30